SAN DIEGO – Arrow Media Group is beginning its second semester as an on campus student- run media agency. Last spring’s agency proved to be a valuable experience for the students, with some of the agency’s members going on to win two Public Relations Society of America Edward L. Bernays awards, a prestigious honor given to top public relations firms in San Diego and Imperial counties.
The media agency course is offered in SDSU’s School of Journalism and Media Studies and is made up of graduate and senior undergraduate students majoring in public relations, integrated marketing communications, marketing, and business.
Replicating the real-world agency environment, students in the class meet with clients on a regular basis, create a public relations plans, and execute those plans in an effective and measureable way to help their clients achieve their business goals. “The agency takes the students classroom learning to a new level,” said Erika DiProfio, course instructor and marketing and public relations executive.
To succeed, students must “treat this like it’s real to get the full benefit of the class,” said DiProfio. “This is an opportunity for students to build relationships with their fellow teammates, with their clients, and with the media which will give them an advantage over others applying for positions in the public relations, advertising, and marketing industries.”
Two groups of students from spring 2014 went on to win Bernays awards for their client work. Staci Reidinger, Tiffany Lindemann, and Michelle Shepard won an award for work done with the SDSU’s Children Center. The group was able to drive awareness for their “A is for Art” gala to achieve their fundraising goal. Belinda Too, Nancy Ly, and Isabella Belotto won an award for their work with the Cedros Avenue. In order to create a stronger awareness for the shops, they planned an event for concierge and media to attend.
The spring 2015 client list for Arrow Media Group includes
- Girls Think Tank, a non-profit organization improving life for the homeless in San Diego
- RAD- LAB, a group of architects opening Quartyard, a new community park in East Village of San Diego
- Dos Desperados, a family-owned micro-brewery in North County
- Junior League of San Diego, the local chapter of an international organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community
- PartnershipWorks, a company transforming the way business is done by providing a paradigm of partnership and leadership for individuals and organizations
- Kaminski’s BBQ, a Poway-based restaurant and catering company
- Price Patrol, a fast-growing, unique, live inventory mobile shopping application
The media agency course is funded in part by a donation from SDSU public relations alumnus Scott Pansky, a co-founder of public relations firm Allison+Partners.